Op. Dr.Akın Akyurt MD (Dr.med) Biography
Born in 1968, he completed his primary and secondary eduction at Istanbul Erkek Lisesi. In 1986 he graduated from Istanbul Erkek Lisesi in first place and entered the Çapa Medical Faculty of Istanbul University. After graduating from medical school in 1992 , using the Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD ) scholarship given to him by the German government, he started to specialise in eye diseases at the University of Cologne Eye Clinic, Germany with Prof. Dr. med Krieglstein. After completing this specialisation in eye diseases, he worked as an operating doctor at the Kartal Training and Research Hospital. In later years, he worked in the eye clinic of The Red Crescent Hospital and World Eye Hospital. He completed his doctoral studies, which he started at the University of Cologne Köln, at the University of Tübingen Eye Clinic with Prof.Dr.med. Baartz Schmidt. In 2003 he was given the title “Dr.med” by the rector of the University of Cologne (this is an academic title given to physicians in Germany who have completed doctoral work).
With numerous domestic and international publications, Op. Dr. med. Akın Akyurt is a member of the Turkish Ophthalmology Society and the German Ophthalmology Society (Deutsche Gesellschaft Ophtalmologische).
He has so far carried out 30,000 operations, especially cataract and laser surgery.
Sport is an important part of Dr. Akın Akyurt’s life, especially tennis and skiing. He is a leader of a large skiing group (skiersonfire) which meets in Europe every year.
He works at Veni Vidi Eye Hospital on Bağdat Street, Istanbul.
His areas of expertise include cataract and laser surgery, glaucoma, retinal diseases and telescopic spectacle systems for low vision patients.
He is married and has one child.
- LASIK Application
- Presbyopia Correction with Multifocal Intraocular Lenses
- Scleral fixation techniques
- Corneal Collagen Cross-Linking
- Femtosecond Applications for Anterior Segment Surgery
- Corneal Topography Analyzing
- Deutsche Ophtalmologische Gesellschaft (DOG)
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS)
- The European Society of Refractive and Cataract Surgeons (ESCRS)
Seminars, presentations and publications:
- Immunmodulatorische Therapie der Uveitis – Köln Üniversitesi Göz Kliniği Doktora Tezi (Doktorarbeit), 2003
- Die Zyklotropie nach der Makulatranslokation und deren chirurgische Behandlung. Klin Monat Aug 2002;219:50
- Clinical Efficacy of Extracorporeal Haemorheological Treatment in ARMD. JPN J Apheresis 1997;16:31
- Pan-European Ocular Allergy Symposium, Lisbon, 2000
- Congress of the European Society of Ophthalmology, Istanbul, 2001
- Congress of European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, Nice, 2002
- Congress of European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, London, 2006
- Congress of European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, Berlin, 2008
- Congress of European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, Paris, 2010
- Congress of European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, Hamburg, 2013
- Congress of European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, Barselona 2015